Localize Gunsan Archiving
From May 2019 to February 2020, we recorded and archived one year of the Localize Gunsan Project, an urban regeneration model hoping to breathe new life in Gunsan through start-ups. This was a cooperative project with SK E&S and Underdogs. We collected stories from 23 teams. These teams included entrepreneurs experimenting new ideas, administrators planning and running pre-existing programs, and local residents living in Gunsan. Beyond archiving the year, we wanted to discover the greater meaning of the project; that is, what is needed for young people to pioneer their lives in their local regions and what is needed to breathe life into a city.
- Through interviews with the startup and management team, we listened to understand and tried offering new perspectives when appropriate.
- Although results are important for projects like this, we tried imbuing meaning in the process through conversation.
- The main generation of local start-ups belonged to millennials.
- The province was not a place of decline, but rather a place of possibility. We felt that the main characteristics of millennials we attributed to millennials, enjoyment and purpose, could be realized in the province.
- Social problems that cannot be solved by systems and analytics are still prevalent. However, millennials who are not afraid to deviate from the norm and reframe difficulties as fun challenges will always find the answers.