In 2017, we collaborated with Indischool, a “community of elementary school professors”, to study the rapidly evolving teacher and classroom. We didn’t focus on statistical differences, instead focusing on the direction and purpose of change with those in the field. We also studied the experimental approaches teachers are bringing to their classrooms and sought out ways to support these endeavors.
The characteristics of millennial teachers can be summarized by the following:
- 5N Traits of Millennial Teachers
- No Boredom: fun and meaningful content
- N amount of Identities: interests in various fields
- N amount of Tastes: recognition of differing viewpoints and teaching methods
- Now and Here: balance and connection between work and life
- Native Digital: usage of technology
- “5 Learnings” of Millennial Teachers’ Activities
- Learning Your Own Way: there is no on fixed way of learning
- Make Learning Your Own Way: the teacher’s experiences are connected to what is learned
- Learning Mate: the teacher becomes a “colearner”, not an “instructor”
- Learning by Living: learning is intertwined with living
- Learning Space: the teacher redefines what is a “learning space”
This content is copyrighted by Indischool and can only be used for the public interest. Please apply if you need a PDF of the entire report.